» Fixing College Football
by MaddMatter December 16th 2015, 11:36 pm

» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Future of the Red Wings

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Future of the Red Wings

With the Red Wings having played their last game in the Western Conference the Detroit Red Wings appear to have a brighter future in every aspect.

With the move to the Eastern Conference, Detroit gets to look forward to new teams with different playing styles and renewed rivalries against original 6 teams like Boston, New York and everyone's favorite Toronto. Coupled with more common 7:00 start time the Red Wings and their fans have a lot to look forward to.

With the move to a new conference, the Red Wings also have the benefit of looking forward to a youth movement in the organization. Gone are the days of having 15 players on the wrong side of 30. The Red Wing team we see in 2013-14 will feature a lot of younger players that common fans might not be common with. A lot of them got a lot of valuable experience in the strike shortened season. I like to think of the strike shortened season as an extended stay with the Red Wings for Grand Rapid Griffin players. Players like Joakim Andersson and Gustav Nyquist.

With the salary cap in 2013-14 being at $64,300,000 the Red Wings will have some cash to spend. Below is a list of players that are signed for 2013-14 and the Wings RFA and UFA and their cap hit in 2012-13.

Roster:
Henrik Zetterberg: $6,083,333. The Captain of the team needs no introduction.

Pavel Datsyuk: $6,700,000. Despite reports during the season that Datsyuk wanted to go home after his contract is up, Datsyuk said after the season that he plans on staying in Detroit and getting a contract extension. Detroit fans can breathe a sigh of relief as one of the best playmakers in the world wants to stay

Johan Franzen: $3,954,545. There has been some discussion in Detroit that the Red Wings might use one of their amnesty clauses on Johan Franzen. Ken Holland shot those rumors down immediately, saying if he didn't want Franzen he wouldn't have signed him to that long term deal.

Mikael Samuelsson: $3,000,000. As of right now, I question Samuelssons spot on this roster. He was injured throughout the regular season and when he was healthy, he was passed by Joakim Anderson and more importantly Damien Brunner who provided the right handed shot in the line up.

Darren Helm: $2,125,000: Helm missed all but a couple of shifts in the strike shortened season, he has said he will not need surgery on his back, but you have to question if he will be healthy when the season rolls around. Helm is a great difference maker in the line up with his speed. If he's healthy the team will get a boost, literally.

Todd Bertuzzi: $2,075,000. Bertuzzi is in the same boat as Samuelsson as far as I'm concerned. Bertuzzi was also injured most of the season and when he was healthy didn't play much. Again the young guys were put in the line up over the vet.

Jordin Tootoo: $1,900,000: Again I have no clue what will happen with Tootoo, I figure he will stay on the lineup since he was signed to a 3-year deal before the lockout, but I wouldn't expect anything more than an occasional 4th line/ healthy scratch type of role.

Justin Abdelkader: $1,800,000: Put on the top line with Datsyuk it took him a while to adjust and rumors started to fly. Datsyuk was fed up with Detroit and didn't want to play on a line with Abdelader and wants to go home to Russia. Then everything changed in a game against Anaheim, Abdelkader went off for 3 goals, his first ever hat trick. Absy went on to finish with a career high in goals, despite the shortened season.

Patrick Eaves: $1,200,000. Eaves is a great 4th line/ Penalty killer guy. He also has the right handed shot that is so valuable in this left handed heavy line up.

Cory Emmerton: $533,333. Emmerton is a solid 4th line center. Nothing more, nothing less.

Niklas Kronwall: $4,750,000. The #1 defensemen on the team. He's signed till the end of 2018

Kyle Quincey: $3,775,000. A lot of people were upset when Holland traded a 1st round pick to acquire Quincey in 2012. People were even more upset with his play, which was poor. Things turned around in 2013. He showed he was worth re-acquiring and really stepped up to fill the void left by the departure of Lidstrom and Stuart.

Jonathan Ericsson: $3,250,000 Ericsson is someone me and my buddies criticize a lot. He doesn't play as big as his frame and he has way to many turnovers. That started to change throughout this season. He started to mature and become a solid top 4 defensemen and actually played really good in the playoffs, especially against Toews.

Carlo Colaiacovo: $2,500,000 CC is someone I think will work with the 3rd defensive pair and be there in case someones game drops off.

Danny DeKeyser: $1,350,000. Wow what a great pick up mid season by the Wings. DeKeyser a home grown talent finished up his career at Western Michigan and was almost immediately put into the starting line up. He was a key piece in helping the Red Wings win their final 4 games and make the playoffs for a 22nd consecutive year. He only got in about 15 games, but a full offseason of workouts will help him a lot.

Brian Lashoff: $725,000. Lashoff was quite a surprise, forced to play due to many injuries during the season. He stepped in and showed he has the potential to play on that 3rd unit. He may hop up and down from GR or stay on as the 7th defensemen.

Jimmy Howard: $5,291,667 Starting Goaltender who had an excellent season and a really good playoffs.

Jonas, Gustavsson: $1,500,000. Got hurt and didn't get a chance to play much because of Jimmy's spectacular play during the pipes, expect him to play in more games in 2013-14 to give Jimmy a break.

The Red Wings Projected Cap Space at this point would be $11,894,621. The Wings will have to spend some money to keep some of their own free agents though. The list of potential free agents include:

In House Free Agents:
Valterri Filppula: ($3,000,000) Babcock said this regarding Filp and his free agency "It's better to have a devil you know, than the devil you don't" with Babcock saying that I expect the Wings to try to keep Filp at around $4 a year.

Danny Cleary: ($2,800,000) As much as I respect and love Danny Clearly. His time with the Wings I think is done. To much young talent coming up that can step in and fill his role.

Damien Brunner: ($1,350,000) A nice surprise in free agency. I expect the Red Wings to keep Brunner, at what price I don't know.

Joakim Andersson: ($ 875,000) Restricted Free Agent, He's not going anywhere. Great 3rd line Center for his first year in the NHL, anchored the all rookie line.

Gustav Nyquist: ($875,000) RFA, Not going anywhere. Displayed great stick handling skills and showed up big in the playoffs with a couple key points.

Drew Miller: ($837,500) A great 3rd/4th liner whose great on the PK, I expect him back as well.

Ian White: ($2,875,000) I think it's safe to say White is gone. He was in Babcocks doghouse all year and was a healthy scratch for most of the season.

Jakub Kindl ($883,333) RFA: Kindl was a bit of a disappointment his first couple years in the NHL, going between the 6th and 7th defensemen, he finally looked like he belonged and improved tremendously as the season went on to solidify himself on the 3rd pairing. He'll be back.

Brendan Smith: ($875,000) RFA. Smith is a top 4 defensemen who got his first "full" season in the NHL, he will be back.

Players to watch out for. The Griffin call ups.

Expect to see Tomas Tatar ($ 840,000) (Tatar Tots) called up frequently for the Red Wings for injury replacement. He might even win a spot in camp.

Riley Sheahan ($900,000) is another one to look out for, he got a couple of games this year but looks to have a bigger role in 2013-14.

Needless to say it will be a fun off-season for the Detroit Red Wings and their fans.

I would list some potential free agents, but hell, the season isn't even over yet. I may come back in the offseason and add some potential free agents.

MaddMatter

Street Cred : 125

http://www.sportsworldforums.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Future of the Red Wings :: Comments

Post on June 1st 2013, 7:59 am  EPICxPENGUIN69

fag

Back to top Go down

Post on June 1st 2013, 11:22 am  S

wow ok.

Back to top Go down

Post on June 1st 2013, 3:05 pm  MaddMatter

EPICx69 wrote:fag

How'd them Flyers do this year? MAD BRO YOLO!

I don't care if you guys care. I think it's fun to actually see all this youth being injected into the lineup.

Back to top Go down

Post on June 1st 2013, 8:13 pm  HurpDurpHurray

Future of the Flames: ...oh shit... oh fucking shit... oh well we do have Baertschi... but that's all we have... fucking shit...

Back to top Go down

Post on June 1st 2013, 8:41 pm  MaddMatter

HurpDurpHurray wrote:Future of the Flames: ...oh shit... oh fucking shit... oh well we do have Baertschi... but that's all we have... fucking shit...

You got Hudler!

Back to top Go down

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum