» Week whatever/ The last quarter
by Willbacker December 15th 2015, 10:21 am

NFL Countdown

Penguins Talk

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Penguins Talk

Post  PhantomReturns93 on April 17th 2011, 8:27 pm

Crosby didn't skate today, and Cassie Campbell of CBC reported what she claims is a RUMOR (she makes a point of that) that Sid is meeting with doctors today, possibly to get cleared for contact.

Keep in mind Campbell was also the one who reported Crosby was shooting pucks when Bylsma and Shero were still saying "No Updates" and also the day before the Penguins first made it public that he was skating and symptom-free.

I just got giddy like a schoolgirl again Very Happy

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
PhantomReturns93

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Penguins Talk

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 18th 2011, 12:54 pm

Crosby hasn't touched the ice for the second straight day now. Not good. No

66-Pittsburgh-43

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB on April 18th 2011, 1:35 pm

Im still hoping he's gonna play at some point
SteelersJMB

Street Cred : 27

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 18th 2011, 2:06 pm

Like I said in another thread on this site, I think he's done for the season.

Forget the fact he hasn't even been cleared for contact drills at this point in the series, he's now missing standard team practices.

Again, this team is simply running out of time. Even if he returns, I feel it will be a case of too little, too late considering the way we have been playing and the hurdles Crosby needs to get over before he can even sniff a game.

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB on April 18th 2011, 2:08 pm

Well were tied 1-1 right now in the series, lets hope for the best.
SteelersJMB

Back to top Go down

Post  KWicK78 on April 18th 2011, 5:32 pm

Malkin's better anyway
KWicK78

Street Cred : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  MyDirtyDangles on April 18th 2011, 7:26 pm

KWicK78 wrote:Malkin's better anyway

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
MyDirtyDangles

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 19th 2011, 6:28 am

Pens' Kunitz, Lightning's Downie face hearing over hits
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TAMPA -- Chris Kunitz of the Penguins and Tampa Bay winger Steve Downie will have hearings with the NHL today because of hits they threw during the Penguins' 3-2 victory Monday night against the Lightning at the St. Pete Times Forum.

Seconds before Max Talbot scored the goal that put the Penguins in front, 1-0, at 5:46 of the opening period, Downie launched himself into defenseman Ben Lovejoy behind the Penguins net. He was was going to be sent off for that hit, but Talbot's goal got the penalty waved off.

Shortly after the midpoint of the opening period, Kunitz drove an elbow into the head of Lightning winger Simon Gagne and was assessed an elbowing minor.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11109/1140391-100.stm#ixzz1JxYWRugA

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 19th 2011, 7:37 am

Penguins again top NHL in U.S. TV ratings
Team-record figure comes despite absence of Crosby, Malkin

Tuesday, April 19, 2011
By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Call Pittsburgh the new Hockey-tahn.

The Penguins learned Monday that their local television viewership was No. 1 among the NHL's U.S.-based teams with an 8.68 rating and an average of 101,000 homes tuning in per game. It was their fourth consecutive finish at the top, but this one came despite missing their marquee attractions, Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, for half the season.

"Our fans never cease to amaze us," said Tom McMillan, the Penguins' vice president of communications. "To have hockey established here to the point where we lead the country in ratings two years in a row, that's a statement enough for Pittsburgh. But I think this year it means even more because we lost so much of our star power. Sometimes, there's a belief that, if your star power goes away, so does the interest. That clearly didn't happen."

The figures, released Monday morning by the Sports Business Journal, measured only local broadcasts. In Pittsburgh, that meant Root Sports, the former FSN Pittsburgh. Any games involving the Penguins televised by NBC and Versus were not included. NBC's broadcast of the Winter Classic from Heinz Field drew the NHL's biggest rating -- 32.0 -- for any regular-season game in 36 years.

Also not included was data from the six Canadian teams or the Carolina Hurricanes and Nashville Predators, neither of whom could have come close to Pittsburgh.

The 8.68 local rating and 101,000 homes are franchise highs, and each represents a healthy increase from the 8.17 rating and 94,000 homes from last year.

Perhaps most impressive is the context of the 101,000 homes: Pittsburgh is the NHL's 22nd-largest market, but it finished ahead of markets many times larger. The defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks were second at 96,000 homes, then the Boston Bruins at 77,000, the Detroit Red Wings at 76,000, the Philadelphia Flyers at 71,000 and the New York Rangers at 59,000.

In these playoffs, the Pittsburgh audience has nearly doubled, with a 16.2 rating for Game 1 of the first-round series with the Tampa Bay Lightning last week, and a 12.15 for Game 2.

Compared to the most recent full seasons of the other two teams in town, the Steelers ranked second in the NFL, behind the New Orleans Saints, with a 41.9 average local rating, and the Pirates ranked 15th in Major League Baseball, with a 3.44 rating. The Pirates averaged 39,730 homes per game.

The Penguins also have ranked No. 1 in the past year in website hits and merchandise sales, as well as extending their ongoing sellout streak for home games to 208.

The NHL's lowest local viewership was for the Florida Panthers, with a 0.16 rating and 3,000 homes.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11109/1140351-61.stm#ixzz1JxptXfd7

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant on April 19th 2011, 11:55 am

MyDirtyDangles wrote:

I heard that Malkin is more consistent come play-off time whilst Crosby "disappears". At least that's what I heard he did in their last Stanley Cup winning season.

I don't know if that's true or not, it could be just Cap fans spearing lies to big up Ovechekin for all I know.
Mutant

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB on April 19th 2011, 1:18 pm

Penguin's fans are always loyal Very Happy
SteelersJMB

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 19th 2011, 2:45 pm

Tampa Bay Lightning forward Steve Downie has been suspended one game by the NHL for leaving his feet during a check on Pittsburgh forward Ben Lovejoy during Game 3 of their series last night.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=362860

There's still no word on Kunitz. He had a phone hearing scheduled at 10:00 AM.

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant on April 19th 2011, 2:49 pm

SteelersJMB wrote:Penguin's fans are always loyal Very Happy

Wait til they start sucking like the Oilers lol.
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 on April 19th 2011, 5:02 pm

MUTANT! wrote:
MyDirtyDangles wrote:

I heard that Malkin is more consistent come play-off time whilst Crosby "disappears". At least that's what I heard he did in their last Stanley Cup winning season.

I don't know if that's true or not, it could be just Cap fans spearing lies to big up Ovechekin for all I know.

Ya in 09 Malkin was better in the playoffs, he was on fire that year, but Crosby was still amazing he didn't "disappear" he was just overshadowed. But ever since then Malkin has been the one who has disappeared while Crosby has only gotten better. Malkin has the talent but he hasnt come anywhere near to executing at the level he did that year since the cup finals...injuries have played a role but still he's been in a two year slump basically. Meanwhile Crosby has made the shift from passive playmaker to all around offensive juggernaut during that time so he's unquestionably better at this point, at least to anybody that's watched the team regularly since then.

PhantomReturns93

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 19th 2011, 6:20 pm

Kunitz suspended for Game 4 of Penguins-Lightning series
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TAMPA -- Penguins left winger Chris Kunitz has received a one-game suspension for hitting Tampa Bay left winger Simon Gagne in the head with an elbow Monday night.

Kunitz will sit out the Game 4 of the Penguins-Lightning series Wednesday night at the St. Pete Times Forum.

He will be eligible to return for Game 5 Saturday at Consol Energy Center.

Lightning winger Steve Downie also will serve a one-game suspension for leaving his feet and launching himself into Penguins defenseman Ben Lovejoy during the first period of the Penguins' 3-2 victory in Game 3 Monday.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11109/1140391-100.stm#ixzz1K0RyoOxN

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 on April 19th 2011, 6:32 pm

I swear to God it's a conspiracy. Crosby's been fine all along, he's just dressing up in Asham's jersey every night.

PhantomReturns93

Back to top Go down

Post  RJAfan6 on April 19th 2011, 6:50 pm

lets go baby!
RJAfan6

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 19th 2011, 7:10 pm

MUTANT! wrote:I heard that Malkin is more consistent come play-off time whilst Crosby "disappears". At least that's what I heard he did in their last Stanley Cup winning season.

The Crosby vs Malkin discussion has been shot to death, but living here and seeing both players perform on a regular basis on television and in person, I don't see how anyone can say Malkin is a better hockey player than Sidney Crosby. I've said it before and I'll say it again: While there are countless differences between the way both respected athletes play the game in general, there is one distinct difference that stands out to me and it's mental toughness...

If Malkin has a bad first period, he becomes flustered and begins to struggle in that particular game. If the guy isn't doing well, he becomes visibly frustrated and completely takes himself out of the game. That's fine if that's the case in your rookie year, but we are talking about a guy who's in his fifth year. Sulking and feeling bad for yourself will not get you a goal or get you out of a slump.

He tends to struggle in physical games. Crosby get's his teeth knocked out by Hatcher in Philadelphia and goes on to score the OT winner. Malkin get's knocked around and he's not the same player for the entire game. On top of struggling to produce in those type of games, he tends to lose his head and begins taking dumb penalties. I've seen it time and time again. Both examples come down to mental toughness and at this point in his career, Malkin is lacking it.

When it comes to overall play? Sidney Crosby is the better overall hockey player. The guy does it all. Do you want him to setup goals? He does it. Do you want him to score goals? He does it. He felt he was weak on faceoffs, worked on it two offseasons ago and ended up becoming one of the better faceoff takers in the league. He felt he needed to work on his shot and he ended up scoring 51 goals last season. It's truly amazing to watch every year.

Now, imagine if the guy didn't get injured this season? It was already clear to me who the better player is, but we wouldn't be having this conversation if Sidney Crosby played this entire season. At the pace he was going, his numbers would have been sick.

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 19th 2011, 7:25 pm

MUTANT! wrote:
SteelersJMB wrote:Penguin's fans are always loyal Very Happy

Wait til they start sucking like the Oilers lol.

Well, that depends.

If the NHL ever decides to go back to an uncapped league, I'm sure we would struggle with attendance.

I hung in there and kept my season tickets, but when fans had to watch this organization go from winning two Stanley Cups in the early 90's to watching a massive fire sale involving our top talent for absolutely nothing in return, attendance naturally struggled. When fans had to watch an AHL team (literally) attempt to compete against the larger markets like New York, Philadelphia, Detroit and Vancouver, attendance suffered...naturally.

With a salary cap, every team has a chance to compete. We can actually retain our talent and not worry about certain organizations buying up half the league and Stanley Cup wins in the process. The smaller markets can actually compete in this league, unlike before when there wasn't a salary cap.

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  Mutant on April 20th 2011, 11:24 am

Thanks for the info 66.

Gave me a bit of an insight into the Pens.
Mutant

Back to top Go down

Post  PhantomReturns93 on April 21st 2011, 1:01 am

NEAAAAAAAAAAL

So tonght,

1. The Pens scored on the power play
2. James Neal scored a goal

The World is Ending

PhantomReturns93

Back to top Go down

Post  SteelersJMB on April 21st 2011, 3:08 am

3-1 Very Happy
SteelersJMB

Back to top Go down

Post  66-Pittsburgh-43 on April 21st 2011, 7:50 am

PhantomJB93 wrote:NEAAAAAAAAAAL

So tonght,

The World is Ending

Hell did in fact freeze over last night. Unreal. While it's not over yet, it's pretty wild this team is up 3-1 in the series. Shocked

66-Pittsburgh-43

Back to top Go down

Post  RJAfan6 on April 21st 2011, 10:24 am

66-Pittsburgh-43 wrote:
PhantomJB93 wrote:NEAAAAAAAAAAL

So tonght,

The World is Ending

Hell did in fact freeze over last night. Unreal. While it's not over yet, it's pretty wild this team is up 3-1 in the series. Shocked
amen man, just imagine if we had sid and malkin! good lord. i was listening to Mark Madden here in pittsburgh one time and he was talking about how hes never seen a team switch their fopcus from offense to defense so late in the season and still be able to be successful. it really is unreal

RJAfan6

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  MyDirtyDangles on April 21st 2011, 4:42 pm

wow when I was watching the game last night I noticed neal has really sweet hands! I seen a couple of sweet dangles.

MyDirtyDangles

Street Cred : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum